College Football Week 8
Another great week of college football in store for today. Hope you got time for your first true elimination game tonight. Florida State verses Notre Dame. Florida State does not have the remaining schedule to come back after this loss. I think the media and college football in general has tired of Jameis Winston and his consistent time spend in the spotlight for off field activities. I would expect if they lose tonight and with their remaining schedule they are out if they lose. Notre Dame still has a upper echelon team in USC to play and they could fight back with a close loss. I predict Notre Dame to win tonight 34-30.
This is my ranking Top Ten non SEC-programs that have a chance to make the playoff. This is not my top ten college football schools. It is the top ten teams that have the best chance to get into the playoff system.
- Florida State- The mantra of a tournament is to survive and move on. Must win tonight because the likes of Louisville, Miami, Virginia, Boston College and Florida are not strong enough to bring them back.
- Baylor-Last week, I wrote this: “Look for Baylor to win a low scoring game.” I guess I should have been a little clearer since it was a low scoring game 61-58. I meant to say “Look for Baylor to win a low scoring basketball game.” Look for another low scoring basketball game today as the Bears travel to West Virginia. The Mountaineers are tough at home and have pushed some big time teams this year. Baylor should win, but something tells me that WV will win 48-45.
- Notre Dame-Here is their first game of the playoff. Survive and advance is the only rule. Their quarterback Everett Golston has only lost one game in his entire college career and that was the National Championship game against Alabama. Jameis Winston is undefeated in his college career. Someone will get a big win tonight.
- Oregon- The schedule is now coming back to the Ducks. Stanford is still lurking out there but it is at home and every other game is winnable. I had Oregon sitting on one loss at this point, it was just to UCLA not to Arizona. I think you can make plans to see the Ducks in the playoff. I know they are farther down the line, sitting at number 9 in the top 25 but they will be moving back up.Oklahoma-The
- Michigan State/Ohio State- The Big Ten is still alive because of Michigan State and Ohio State. The conference has a championship game so the winner of this isn’t promised anything more than a rematch. Until then MSU plays at Indiana who is starting a true freshman. This might be a bloodbath. OSU is hosting Rutgers and no one this side of New Jersey is expecting the Knights to win.
- Sooners are still alive and have an outside chance because TCU lost their focus against Baylor. Must win this week against Kansas State and must beat Baylor. The window is closing rapidly for all the teams in the Big 12 as the SEC is making their case for two teams in the playoff.
- TCU-Their defense allowed 24 straight points and let Baylor off the hook. You can’t take a quarter off only to lose like they did still and expect to make the playoffs. Stranger things have happened but with the SEC aiming to get two teams in the playoffs, TCU is probably out.
In my heart, I love the underdog. This is the only team from the non-Power 5 that could make the playoff.
- Marshall- Florida International is up and they will not offer the Thundering Herd anything more than another win. Marshall is looking good for a New Year’s game but unless the wheels fall off the big boys in the SEC, Marshall may be on the outside looking in because of their schedule.
UTAH STATE (OUT)
COLORADO STATE (OUT)
ARKANSAS STATE (OUT)
I still look to the SEC as the best confrence. Here is this week’s rundown of the games.
Ole Miss will host Tennessee and they might have their hands full. The Tennessee quarterback is really good and they will be able to score. There is an outside chance that the Vols make this close. Ole Miss 37-UT 31.
Texas AM at Alabama-Someone is out after this game. To be honest, both teams are out but for now we will pretend that there is still hope. Alabama 24 AM 21.
Georgia at Arkansas. One day, Arkansas will win a game but it won’t be this week. UGA 37-Pigs 17.
Mississippi State and Auburn are enjoying a week off. Nothing helps a team move up the standings like a bye week.
- Ole Miss
- Mississippi State
- No one else matters anymore. Ouch, that must hurt Bama Fan.
I thought that the PAC 12 would get two teams in the playoff but not possible any longer. The door is wide open for Notre Dame, but they have to win out. The SEC is looking for two teams and the Big Ten will get a team if MSU or OSU can win out and someone stumbles. The Big 12 will be left on the outside looking in.
SEC Champion Ole Miss Rebels will play Number four Notre Dame. Ole Miss wins.
SEC runner up Mississippi State will play PAC 12 Champion Oregon. Oregon wins.
Oregon will defeat Ole Miss 45-27 and win the National Championship.