Skip to content

European Vacation…Part II

June 16, 2014
tea 5

Quaint German countryside. This is where I started the day. Photo from yahoo.


Hey Y’all,


I walked out of the hospital in Germany without out a plan, with no idea of where I was and with a small green duffel bag over my shoulder. Somehow, I was able to get a ride to the local train station. My wife and I were talking about this particular story the other day and I confessed that I don’t remember how I got to the train station. It was probably a base taxi but I may have walked. I just don’t remember how but I did find the train station. Once there, I do remember changing in the train station out of my brown flight suit and into jeans and a short sleeved shirt feeling very under dressed. When we left it was late September and now in Germany over Thanksgiving it was cold.


tea 3

Typical train station in Germany. The wind always seems to whip down the line while you wait. Photo from yahoo.


The only jacket that I had was my brown Gore-Tex jacket that was great at blocking the wind and rain but it was horrible at keeping me warm. I found a train schedule and figured out which track would lead me to the Frankfurt International Airport. I love Germany because the transportation system is so efficient. The country is connected by train, and there is no reason to have a car. A short walk to the village train station and you can go anywhere. By the time the train pulled into the airport station, it was way past dark. I made the long walk out of the airport to look for a taxi. They were everywhere but the sign in American English pointed to the US side of the airport. I assumed that if there were signs and a walking path that it couldn’t be that far. I was wrong as it was halfway around the Atlanta sized airport to the US gate. It was a long hike in the cold, dark, misting rain.


tea 6

“Do you have a room for the night?” photo from yahoo.


Finally, I walked up to the gate. I am sure the guards thought I was a zombie and back in the day zombies were not cool. My bandage had fallen off, the open wound was oozing blood and other juices, and I was shivering, wet and hungry. Looking back, I’m surprised that the guard didn’t send me to the hospital. It was past midnight and the base taxis had stopped running for the night. The guard gave me a base map and pointed me in the right direction to find the billeting office. I roamed the quiet, sleeping streets until I found the Inn. They put me in transient housing, which was fine because it was relatively close. The room they gave me had eight bunk beds and fortunately they were all empty. I walked down the hall to the bathroom, so I could shower and re-bandage my face before I crashed hard.


The next day, I walked over to the C-17 Squadron in uniform. I spoke to one of their schedulers and asked about catching a ride down range. He gave me the weirdest look and asked what I considered down range. I told him that I didn’t care, Baghdad to Oman was fine. Just anywhere that I could catch a C-130 back to Salem; he had to ask why and I told him the Cliff Notes version of my sad story. The first flight back was a 2 AM show for Balad which is a US base about thirty-five miles north of Baghdad smack square in the Sunni Triangle. I said I would take it and he left a note for the crew.


I went to the All Ranks Club for breakfast/lunch/dinner. By this point, I was starving and I had a big hamburger and fries. To my surprise, it was Thanksgiving and there was a football game on the big screen TV. Detroit was playing Green Bay and won a close game. I watched about half of the Dallas game but Miami was smoking them so I left.



“It is tea, just tea. I love tea and you can’t get it down there.” photo from yahoo.


Before I left, Sleepy hinted that when I came back from Germany that I shouldn’t forget the boys. I got the message loud and clear. Don’t come home empty handed, so I went to the shoppette and bought six liter bottles of sun tea. Then I went next door to the Class-Six store and bought the equivalent amount of whiskey and went back to the bunk house. Fortunately, all the beds were empty and poured myself a large glass of tea and put the rest down the drain of the sink that was in the room. I did have to wonder how many guys had used the sink as a toilet in the middle of the night. I can’t answer that question but I do know one guy who transferred six liters of soon to be illegal alcohol into six unapproved containers and wrapped up by one stolen Air Force towel.


tea 7

Glen Frye from Smuggler’s Blues fame. I am sure I looked cool like him. Maybe there is a story there, Zombie smugglers in the desert. photo from yahoo


Loaded with enough contraband to find myself into a heap of trouble I went to catch my flight. I went into the flight planning room to meet the crew and to my surprise they were making their first flight into Balad. The Aircraft Commander was a Lieutenant Colonel Squadron Commander and the Co-Pilot was just a Lieutenant. They asked if I have been there before and I said yes. They asked if I have been there on night vision goggles and again I said yes. I showed them everything I knew, which wasn’t much and out we went. The flight was scheduled to leave at 6 AM and arrive around midnight because of the flight time and time zone changes. Midnight was one of the worse times to show up because that was prime time for missile shots. The way we figured it, the Insurgents would work during the day for the Coalition and then go home to the family for dinner. After the kids were in bed, Dad would go back out to fire a couple of missiles for the Insurgents to get a little extra pay and to be sure he was on both sides depending on how things turned out. In retrospect, that was a good idea.


I stayed in the back of the massive airplane to watch my bag because I know how Loadmasters like to snoop. Twenty clock hours later I was back in the sandbox.


tea 4

I have done a lot of dumb things in my life and going back so fast was one of them. photo from yahoo


Kicking myself for getting back so quickly, I ate a MRE in the passenger holding area of Balad waiting for a C-130 to come in. Finally one showed up and I was happy to see that it was from St. Joseph Missouri. The Missouri Guard had been with us since day one of Tabuk. The airplane sat with the engines running under the supervision of a Loadmaster standing twenty feet off the nose of the airplane. He waved before he gave me a questioning look. I just smiled and pointed to the door asking if I could go on board. He replied with a thumb up and I climbed in. I knew the pilot in passing and I quickly summarized my situation. He gave me permission to ride along but this was their first stop of the day. I said they could put me to work as they needed and he told me to crawl into the bunk and go to sleep. I must have looked rough. I put my bags in the back and again went to sleep.


Taxiing into Salem twelve hours later, I got the attention of the Loadmaster. I asked him if he liked tea. He shrugged and I handed him a bottle of tea. A few days later, I saw that crew in the chow hall. They all thanked me for the gift.


Until next time, keep on rockin.

From → military

  1. I bet you had quite a “tea” party when you got back. Love your stories.

    • Sandy,

      Thanks for the comment. The tea did smooth over some rough edges. By that time in the rotation, most of us were going on month 9 away from home with a 35 day break in between. But the Army guys had it worse, they were doing a full year in country with 30 days on the front and back side for training. They did get a 3 week trip home in the middle though.

      By the way, I did not partate in any of the tea drinking. I am not a drinker so everything I smuggled back was for the guys.

  2. Great story! I love it that you worked so hard to get back, even if you didn’t stay in Germany for long and the “tea” is great! LOL!

    • Abby,

      Thanks for the kind comment. I felt out of place being in Germany all alone and my only goal was to get back. Everyone was disappointed that I didn’t take more time away or go see some sights. But it just wasn’t any fun without my guys.

      The real tricks was to take a solder gun and burn a hole in the bottom of a bottle then re-fill it with a drink of choice. Once it was filled, reseal the hole. That way the seal on the bottle top was intact if anyone ever looked

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports

NBA news, video, analysis and more

Wild Blue Yonder

Serious Fun

Vern Norrgard

Agile Coach, Photographer and Video

Sing All Kinds

Old stuff, new lists, sparingly shared from Chris Herrington

Complex Distractions

conversations about music, life, and the alien overlords

Legends of Windemere

Enjoy the Adventure

Survival Sherpa

Helping each other on the climb to self-reliance and preparedness...the Survival Sherpa way...One step at a time.

Robert Krenzel

Author of the Gideon Hawke Series of Historical Fiction novels

Opinion, Analysis, Fandom, & Fun

Phoebe Morgan

Author and Editor

Mirror World Publishing

Independent Canadian Publisher of Escapism Fiction you can get lost in

The Awkward Soul

To an adventure that never ends and journey never forgotten


Mystery, Crime and a Woman

writers co-op

Writers helping writers. To follow this blog, click on the three white lines above.

Francis Bass

Writing, Reading, Etc.

Sistership Publishing


Littera Scripta Manet

%d bloggers like this: